Crac'h : where land and sea merge
Crac'h offers an interesting religious heritage between chapels, fountains and the altarpiece of Saint Thuriau Parish Church. As well as beautiful landscapes overlooking the rias at Fort Espagnol or Saint Jean Bay. Stretching amid farmlands and oyster farms, it is the largest district of the Trois Rivières area.
The market town of Crac'h hosts many megalithic sites, mostly on private properties. Therefore they cannot be viewed by the public. However two major sites have free access : the Luffang Dolmen gallery grave and the Kervin-Brigitte Dolmen.
The Luffang Dolmen is a well preserved gallery grave although the top stones and some stones from the gallery are missing. Items from the mid Neolithic period were excavated there like a polished axe and a copper spiral. Altogether, 103 objects were found which are now preserved at the Prehistory Museum in Carnac.
The Kervin-Brigitte Dolmen is a massive rectangular table supported by 2 L-shaped stones.
Crac'h religious heritage
Crac'h boasts a rich religious heritage with the Parish church of Saint-Thuriau and four chapels (Plas-Kaër, Lomarec, Kervin Brigitte and Saint-Jean).
Église paroissiale Saint-Thuriau : The Parih Church of Saint Thuriau dates from 1809 and underwent several renovations. In 1828, the Duchess of Berry contributed to the repairs, namely for the tower bell because its location near the coast would be a useful viewpoint for the sailors. Inside the church, the nave is paved with stones and the wings of the transept have the bold shape of semicircular arches. Saint Thuriau's shrine containing his chest and arm are kept here, adding to the richness of the sanctuary, definitly worth a visit for its statues and altarpieces. The vault of the nave shelters a colony of a rare and protected species of bats « greater moused-eared bats » inventoried by the Birds Protection League.
Chapelle du Plas-Kaër : Built on the site of an antique chapel erected by the Knights Templar in the 11th century, the present chapel was opened in 1874. Its architecture is a Neo-gothic style following the Christian Cross shape. Hidden in the woodland at the end of a winding lane, the chapel enjoys a spectacular setting.
Chapelle de Lomarec : A simple rectangular building, this chapel is mostly known for its sarcophagus which raised the interest of archeologists. It is the place of worship of the apostle Saint Andrew who was believed to cure the whooping cough in former times.
Chapelle Kervin-Brigitte : The hamlet bears the name of Saint Brigit's statue brought back from the former Saint Brigit chapel that no longer exists, and used to stand in the nearby village. The present chapel contains a stone dated 1624 but it was restored in 1992.
Chapelle Saint-Jean : It is the most ancient chapel in Crac'h, sitting by the river, almost where it has its source in the locality of Baie de Saint-Jean, in the hamlet of Kerjean.
Other must-sees in Crac'h include the numerous fountains : Saint-Thuriau, Plas-Kaër, Lomarec, Saint-Aubin, Saint-Jean, Kerbirio…